12.5.13

My newest job. Postpartum Doula work.

Postpartum is a long word for the time after you have your baby. As a postpartum doula, I still help moms and partners, but in a different capacity than I do in birth. It is a little hard to describe what exactly I do, because every family that I work for has very different needs. Sometimes I hold a baby a lot. Sometimes I help swaddle and soothe, and show mom and dad again some of the things they learned about in their baby classes and how to put it into practice with a real live baby. Sometimes I hang with baby so mom (and dad) can have a nap. Or a shower. Or eat something. Sometimes I cook, or do meal prep, or make snacks, since it is at times hard to even remember about eating when there is so much going on with baby at any given moment. I can fold laundry, do the dishes, or just sweep the floor when a mom feels like feeling that grit on her toes might just put her over the edge for what she can handle that day. I can help moms and partners recognize baby's cues for getting ready to eat. Or sleep. I can run to the store and get stuff when moms don't feel like adding that to the mix. Or be with the baby if she feels like she needs to get out of the house. Or show her how to use that crazy long piece of fabric so she can wear her baby and have two free hands when I leave instead of just one.

I can just listen.

I can just sit and listen. Sometimes that is the most important part of my job. Listening to the ups and downs of becoming and mom and a dad and reminding families, "There is no right answer. You have to decide what works best for YOU."

Support in the postpartum period is crucial for bonding with baby, and having strong moms and dads. This is just the small part that I get to play in it:)

No comments: